Skip to main content

What are YOU thankful for?


About a month ago, I watched my nice little retirement nest egg drop $5000 in about 2 minutes. Then, I had to shut the program. Today, I was brave enough to venture back to look again and found about 50% of my egg rather boiled. Dry. Then I spent much of the day shipping folders and then straining my brain over how to implement a "call tag" from our end to someone on the other end who had received 20 of the WRONG folders, embossed. Meaning not-re-saleable. poof!
My plan for the day as of 8 a.m. was:
1) ship folders
2) finish up by 2 p.m.
3) send off my passport for more pages (we are going to China again in January) via expedited mail
4) slice cabbage to start a new batch of sauerkraut
5) make dinner
6)knit on the Holiday Hasty Gift project

Revised Plan (as of 6:10 p.m.:
1) folders shipped
2) approach the UPS call-tag issue. spend 2 hours searching on-line UPS "help" for any and all key words that might possibly lead to "call tag". Ask Jon to help. Spend another hour watching him search. Give up and go start dinner.
3) passport finished at the last minute and run to the P.O. by darling hubby at 5:10 p.m. barely clearing the 5:30 cut off for Priority Mail today.

6:15 p.m.Create a loverly version of mac-n-cheese, drink some (hard) cider, and listen to (my other boyfriend Keith Olbermann) the news.
Here's how I made dinner-
Look in the fridge and cupboards and find
8 oz. (approx.) multi-grain pasta elbows -begin to boil.
While the pasta is cooking, saute 4-5 slices of diced bacon in a pan, add 1 diced pepper and about 8 oz. brussels sprouts, quartered to saute.
When the pasta is drained, place it in a casserole dish.
Stir in a bit of butter (so it won't stick to itself) and then add the browned bacon-sprouts melange. Give it a quick stir. Add 1 small jar Alfredo sauce and about 1 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheese. Stir again. Top with crushed (homemade) bread crumbs along with some pistachio kernels, and drizzle a bit more melted butter over the top. put in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
MMMMMMMMMM.... tasty!

I am thankful that our income is enough to re-fill the (*_#&%) retirement fund, that our kids are healthy and actually happy and pretty well-adjusted, that our parents still love us and we are able to enjoy that, that our country overwhelmingly elected Barack Obama (because it indicates that we are going to start re-visioning and re-inventing our world!),that we have 2 of the funniest dogs ever incarnated!We have true old friends, and new sparkling friends, all of whom we are so fortunate to know. That even in the midst of difficult (worldly) times, I love Jon and he loves me and we are going to be "just fine" - we are still singing!! We'll shred the cabbages tomorrow.

Here's a glass of wine raised to honor you, too!!

Comments

Dina said…
where have you been? Oh I am thankful for so much, the list goes on! A wonderfully supportive husband, a kid I love to death even when I want to kill him, great friends. The opportunity to do what I want in life right now...dance, knit, read, write. My really funny, but really lazy dog.
oh and I cannot forget Obama, this country, this world, by the grace of Goddess is on the mend.

Popular posts from this blog

Patacones!!

PATACONES   -made with green plantains - if they have gotten yellow & spotty, they will not stand up to this treatment! Heat about an inch depth grapeseed or peanut oil in a deep skillet. Slice 4-5 green plantains into about 1 1/2" chunks, and then remove the peel. Fry the plantain chunks until lightly golden, drain on paper towels. When a bit cooler, take a heavy pot and squash the plantains  flat (they look like "large paws" - patacones -) and dip them (do not soak them!) into a bowl of salted water  (about 2c. water and a tbs. or so of sea salt) then carefully place them in the hot oil and fry again until crispy brown! Top patacones with guacamole and fresh salsa, or a garlic/mayonaise combination- they are a great alternative to chips and crackers. Best when eaten hot!!

Medicare for All should be our goal

" Under the greatest adversity there exists the greatest potential for doing good, both for oneself and others ." ~Dalai Lama And one of Montana's Methodist Ministers, Joan Uda, wrote an editorial for the Great Falls Tribune this week, asking essentially, What would God think of this? Here's a small excerpt: I'm startled by the frenzied opposition to health care reform. Are these good people Christians? Do they recall that Jesus will judge us not by how well we've kept our earnings for ourselves but by how we have cared for "the least of these"? Matthew 25:31-46. This is a matter of salvation. I don't believe God supports any particular solution for health care. But I do believe God wants everyone, even the least, included. And I believe Jesus Christ calls us to display our best Christian virtues in the debate on these issues. Here's George Lakoff's perspective on how language influences the discussion on Health Care policies this seas

My Precious Pikle-It

Now that we have finished running about between Missoula and Portland like bees buzzing between flowers, I can tell you all about my favorite kitchen "gadget" this year..... the Pickl-It from the wonderful People at Pickl-It . I got a set for myself and  my sister-in-law, - since we both are fermenting fiends. A few years ago, I had gotten a Harsch Gairtopf crock (see earlier posts regarding sauerkraut making) because I was tired of skimming my 'kraut. Essentially, I love kitchen science, but I'm even more enamored of  accomplishing kitchen crafts with less oversight! The Harsch crock has a wonderful "burping lid" water lock system that allows you to leave your crock unattended for several days at a time while the fermentation beasties work in a safe environment. My Harsch crock is in almost constant use, and I would never give it up. But there were still times when I wanted something smaller....for those tiny baby carrots, or the 3 small heads of gard