Skip to main content

Am I "American" enough?


While I was always the "black sheep" in my original family (only girl, only "liberal"), it has only been over the last 8 years or so that I have begun to feel that I might be a "black sheep American" as well.

Let's see.... I was born in Montana (last time I checked, still part of the "real" USA) to parents who had both been born in the USA (dad Bob in Deer Lodge Montana, mom Bev in Rugby North Dakota). I'm certain my father's parents were both born in the US,and even though my mother's mother spoke German, I'm pretty sure both those grandparents were born here. I have done all the following "American" activities: hunted, fished, eaten elk, moose, venison, buffalo, antelope, all kinds of wild swimming things, - in fact almost all the meat my family ate while I? was growing up was "hunted" or "fished", or we raised it on our ranch-ette (chickens, beef, and lots of vegetables from the garden!)... I swam in mountain rivers and lakes, hiked into wilderness areas, camped, owned dogs (several), had kids, been married (to members of the opposite sex), belonged to several churches (let's see... Lutheran, Catholic, Congregational - "American" enough?), been educated through the public school system, went to a state university, played football and basketball (with my brothers, long ago, but it does count, doesn't it?), raced snowmobiles, rode horses in the "girly" events at rodeos, eaten (alot of) ice-cream, baked pies ...............well, I was raised in Western Montana for G*d's sake, what did you expect?!

Why am I worried about being "Un-American"?
-- I'm a life long Democrat, much to the chagrin of my original family.
-- I believe that every human being has worth and deserves respect, regardless of their race, religion (or lack thereof), marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender, or political bent. And I taught my children this as well!
-- I like strong, thick coffee - and I know how to make it!
-- Even in a place where many many people cling to their guns more than to their religion, I strongly believe that you do NOT need semi-automatic weapons in order to successfully hunt animals and I believe that possession of those kinds of guns makes it far more likely that you will shoot people, not "hunt" animals. I think those guns should be outlawed.
-- I actually appreciate and often celebrate "pagan" holy days. I like full moons, bonfires and walks on the beach at sunset...I have been known to practice yoga, in the nude on the beach around a bonfire with my circle of women friends.....
-- I think international travel and friendship is worth every effort and every penny, and strongly encourage it for young people! Invaluable lessons in personal humility and the commonality of humanity can be learned through travel. Oh, I guess this also means that I don't think America is "the best and only significant place on Earth"! I happen to be partial to the USA because I live here, just as other people are partial the their corner of the planet!
-- I believe that access to Health Care is a right. No one can have a chance at life, or liberty or happiness without a body and mind capable of participating in that life. Brief Aside: I think that individuals own their own bodies - parents are "conservators" for their children, but the government has no right to impose someone else's "morals" or "ethics" on my choices about my body. I have my very own "morals and ethics" that I will take into consideration, thank you very much! Best bumper sticker ever: "How can you trust me with a child if you can't trust me with a choice?"
-- I appreciate a wide variety of("un-American")food and drink. Some of my current favorites are curries from Asia, fermented traditional foods from Middle-Europe, and spicy Schzechuan flavors, accompanied by an assortment of good French, German, and Australian wines. Eclectic food choices can lead one down the path to consorting with strangers (who just might become friends, and then...Oh my G*d!?) More than half of the time, I prefer to eat no meat . In fact, as a child I was frequently chided for this preference. As a young adult I spent several years as a full-fledged (therefore "suspect" person) vegetarian. Now, I have settled into more "flexitarian" ways, and yet...... suspicion attaches to me at every family function. "They" do like my desserts however!
--oh yes, I read. I read just about anything I can get my hands on and I think everyone should have the RIGHT to read whatever they choose!! I have read bodice rippers and Louis L'Amour Westerns (Americana-lite). I have read the Communist Manifesto and enjoyed (maybe not the right word) pondering the writings of Sartre and Wittgenstein (dam* foreigners!). I read the newspaper, the on-line "Big City" papers, magazines such as The Atlantic, The New Yorker, Parabola and Oprah. And I read lots and lots about religion, philosophy, theology, and linguistics. Linguistics? Yes - how is it that *some* people can actually utter words and phrases such as "Un-American", "patriotism", "freedom", and have the meaning completely construed to it's opposite? Rather enlightening, and frightening when words no longer "mean what they mean" and the crowds don't question the person speaking this "langue de mensonges", this "Sprache der Lüge", this "שפה של שקרים ", this "wika ng nagdurugo" .... but I digress.
-------------------------------------
footnote: 1) French 2)German 3)Hebrew 4)Filipino

Comments

Dina said…
Oh Robbin you are a woman after my own heart. I was the opposite raised by 2nd generation Italians and married into the "american" wyoming family...come read my post on Obama the Antichrist..you might like it!
I too believe life may possibly be idyllic in other countries but they all have their problems. I think the recent research was that Danes are the happiest people on the planet and they pay like 50% taxes. But a yoga teacher makes as a much as a doctor so people are free to pursue their dreams and be able to survive. Sounds lovely doesn't it?

Popular posts from this blog

Patacones!!

PATACONES   -made with green plantains - if they have gotten yellow & spotty, they will not stand up to this treatment! Heat about an inch depth grapeseed or peanut oil in a deep skillet. Slice 4-5 green plantains into about 1 1/2" chunks, and then remove the peel. Fry the plantain chunks until lightly golden, drain on paper towels. When a bit cooler, take a heavy pot and squash the plantains  flat (they look like "large paws" - patacones -) and dip them (do not soak them!) into a bowl of salted water  (about 2c. water and a tbs. or so of sea salt) then carefully place them in the hot oil and fry again until crispy brown! Top patacones with guacamole and fresh salsa, or a garlic/mayonaise combination- they are a great alternative to chips and crackers. Best when eaten hot!!

Medicare for All should be our goal

" Under the greatest adversity there exists the greatest potential for doing good, both for oneself and others ." ~Dalai Lama And one of Montana's Methodist Ministers, Joan Uda, wrote an editorial for the Great Falls Tribune this week, asking essentially, What would God think of this? Here's a small excerpt: I'm startled by the frenzied opposition to health care reform. Are these good people Christians? Do they recall that Jesus will judge us not by how well we've kept our earnings for ourselves but by how we have cared for "the least of these"? Matthew 25:31-46. This is a matter of salvation. I don't believe God supports any particular solution for health care. But I do believe God wants everyone, even the least, included. And I believe Jesus Christ calls us to display our best Christian virtues in the debate on these issues. Here's George Lakoff's perspective on how language influences the discussion on Health Care policies this seas

My Precious Pikle-It

Now that we have finished running about between Missoula and Portland like bees buzzing between flowers, I can tell you all about my favorite kitchen "gadget" this year..... the Pickl-It from the wonderful People at Pickl-It . I got a set for myself and  my sister-in-law, - since we both are fermenting fiends. A few years ago, I had gotten a Harsch Gairtopf crock (see earlier posts regarding sauerkraut making) because I was tired of skimming my 'kraut. Essentially, I love kitchen science, but I'm even more enamored of  accomplishing kitchen crafts with less oversight! The Harsch crock has a wonderful "burping lid" water lock system that allows you to leave your crock unattended for several days at a time while the fermentation beasties work in a safe environment. My Harsch crock is in almost constant use, and I would never give it up. But there were still times when I wanted something smaller....for those tiny baby carrots, or the 3 small heads of gard