Skip to main content

Patacones!!




PATACONES
  -made with green plantains - if they have gotten yellow & spotty, they will not stand up to this treatment!










Heat about an inch depth grapeseed or peanut oil in a deep skillet.

Slice 4-5 green plantains into about 1 1/2" chunks, and then remove the peel.

Fry the plantain chunks until lightly golden, drain on paper towels.

When a bit cooler, take a heavy pot and squash the plantains  flat (they look like "large paws" -patacones-) and dip them (do not soak them!) into a bowl of salted water  (about 2c. water and a tbs. or so of sea salt) then carefully place them in the hot oil and fry again until crispy brown!

Top patacones with guacamole and fresh salsa, or a garlic/mayonaise combination- they are a great alternative to chips and crackers. Best when eaten hot!!

Comments

Jo said…
Re the Riser Seat attachments (from The ChoirWire). I agree Robbin. I saw them at Chorus America in Atlanta and thought they were very comfortable... and portable! The website is: http://www.signatureartware.com/servlet/the-Full-Measure-Rest/Categories

Popular posts from this blog

My Precious Pikle-It

Now that we have finished running about between Missoula and Portland like bees buzzing between flowers, I can tell you all about my favorite kitchen "gadget" this year..... the Pickl-It from the wonderful People at Pickl-It . I got a set for myself and  my sister-in-law, - since we both are fermenting fiends. A few years ago, I had gotten a Harsch Gairtopf crock (see earlier posts regarding sauerkraut making) because I was tired of skimming my 'kraut. Essentially, I love kitchen science, but I'm even more enamored of  accomplishing kitchen crafts with less oversight! The Harsch crock has a wonderful "burping lid" water lock system that allows you to leave your crock unattended for several days at a time while the fermentation beasties work in a safe environment. My Harsch crock is in almost constant use, and I would never give it up. But there were still times when I wanted something smaller....for those tiny baby carrots, or the 3 small heads of gard

Rhubarb-a-Ritas!!!

We have a Rhubarb plant... Every spring, we get at least three large harvests from our wonderful pie-plant! This year, i thought we could do something beyond pies or crisps or stewed toppings for ice-cream.   So I chopped up about 8 stalks and simmered it in a simple syrup concoction (1 part sugar to 2 parts water - this batch used 4 cups of sugar and 8 cups water). Simmer this until the rhubarb seems to have fallen apart and is just a globby bit of green.  Strain the syrup from the rhubarb bits and bottle.  . We got about 3 liters (see the discombobulated rhubarb remains behind the bottles?) Jon made "Rubarb-A-Ritas" 2 double shots of tequila, a cup of the rhubarb syrup, and enough ice to cover the liquid in the blender.  WHIRRRRRRR Pour into a martini glass, rimmed with sea salt and garnish with a lemon slice.  Kids will like their rhubarb syrup mixed with some soda water (Rhubarb Soda Pop!) or in their lemonade :-)